> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Saddle Valves for Gas Lines
Login | Register

Saddle Valves for Gas Lines

Posted by TJ on October 28th, 2001 10:34 PM

I just bought a Comfortglow natural gas space heater for my new patio room. I have heard about a saddle valve-type device that allows you to tap into your existing gas line without having to mess around with galvanized pipe or the plumbers that work with them. What I also heard is that you can use flex pipe from that saddle valve to reach your (my) device. This sounds like a great idea for me since it seem easy and cheap. I have a gas line easily in reach in my basement that I could tap into and run flex pipe approx. 25 feet under the floor to the patio room and tie it into the heater using the hookup kit I bought.

My questions: Are these, in fact, an acceptable way to do this? My heater says it needs at least 1/2 pipe to maintain adaquate pressure to the they make 1/2 inch flex pipe? Can I use copper tubing? My main gas line is galvanized 1" that ties into a 2" larger main. Do "they" make saddle valves? Is it true you can hook one up without shutting off your gas? What are they called and where can I find them?

I do not want to deal with the complications of cutting and threading alot of pipe, shutting off the gas main, re-lighting pilots, and worrying about leaks on multiple joints...which is what I would be dealing with over that run since it involves may turns.


Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC