> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > S'more ...
Login | Register

S'more ...

Posted by Jay J on August 24th, 1998 10:52 AM
In reply to what to put on floor under washer? by linda on August 22nd, 1998 06:34 AM [Go to top of thread]

In addition to what Henry said, I'd like to add another suggestion.

I happen to know a 'few' people but, really, not a 'whole lot' of people. And of the few people I know, 2 of them had their washer hoses break on them in their homes! One had a washer on the 1st floor of the house too. What I suggest is that if you or a 'significant other' or even a competent friend are handy enough to put in shut-off valves, I'd put one on the hot and cold supply lines to the washer. My wife and I turn them on and off after we're finished doing the wash. As a back-up, I bought a $10 water detector that should water leak onto the floor, an alarm will go off. Granted, we shut the water off and turn it on as we need to but you never know if the line is going to break while you're doing a load of wash! And like most folks, we, too, will start a wash and go out for a while. (So much for shut-offs and alarms!) But we try to avoid this type of behavior. I'd use ball-valves on this job if at all possible. They're more expensive than gate valves but their maintenance is, basically, nill.

I should add that there's another way to minimize your exposure to possible bursting hoses. And that is to change the supply hoses every few years. It's when they get brittle and inflexible that they may break. If your hoses are in this condition, replace them! My best to ya.

Jay J

PS: (Am I paranoid? Maybe, but insurance claims by 2 friends/acquaintances told me.)

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC