> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Rust Spots
Login | Register

Rust Spots

Posted by BobB on February 26th, 2002 09:26 AM
In reply to Rust Spots on Clothes by Linda on February 26th, 2002 07:41 AM [Go to top of thread]

Well Linda, this is outside my normal area of expertise, but I understand your frustration because the wife and I suffered the same problem a couple of years ago. This may not be your problem, but I'll pass along what we learned. When those spots began to appear, we experimented with different detergents and bleaches to no avail. Then we noticed that it seemed to happen more when we didn't run the washer for a few days. Then once after we had been away on vacation I went in and opened the top of the washer and the stench was terrible. You could see no water in the porcelain tub, but in the "outer" tub that you couldn't see there must have remained some that wasn't pumped out. I ran a little rinse water into the tub and then let it pump it out, the color was black and the stench was bad. After that wnenever the washer sat for a few days between loads, we would run a little rinse water into it first and let it flush out. It solved the rust spot problem for us. I guess this old machine ( which has since been replaced ) was not emptying the last bit of water out of the bottom of the outer tub and when it sat it would pick up stains and transfer them to the clothes. Flushing it out gave us another year or so of use on this 25 year old machine. Not a scientific explanation, but I have several cotton dress shirts to remember the experience by..BobB

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC