> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Rust removal
Login | Register

Rust removal

Posted by Walt Conti on August 19th, 1999 12:04 PM
In reply to RUST removal wrought iron fence by Charlie Duffy on April 26th, 1998 10:49 AM [Go to top of thread]

A more affordable method would be to attatch a wire bristle as an abrasive to your drill. A good industrial grade primer with corrosion inhibitors to prime with followed by your topcoat. PPG, Sherwin Williams, Bejamin Moore as well as others make decent primers that prevent rusting. I like to also apply a topcoat that contains an anticorrosive pigment the like. I am a coatings chemist and know that when doing as many things on your own can save you some money. I must also agree that coating the newly exposed metal ASAP with primer is very important to prevent future rusting. There are some corrosion inhibitors that can be painted over rusted steel (we make them) but applying over clean metal is the way to truly avoid problems. As far as polymers go, I've always been more impressed with alkyd (oil based solvent coatings) but water based technology is really super these days. The problem with industrial solvent is they may contain volitle and dangerous solvents, mineral spirits would be good if you can find them. Water based paints are more user friendly but getting the appearance, flow, and even corrosion protection may be difficult unless you get in with a big paint manufacturer. The bad news is they may not wish to fool with someone buying 5-10 gallons of paint but there are willing companies out there. Good luck.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC