> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > rotting window
Login | Register

rotting window

Posted by sandy on March 31st, 2003 01:11 PM
In reply to rotting windows by steve splittgerber on August 24th, 2002 08:30 PM [Go to top of thread]

Moderator Post:
> Jeld-Wen Caradco by dmasher on 11/11/2004

Our home is 9 yrs old. We have double hung windows. Wood framed with exterior aluminum covering on the outside. The first winter we noticed that these windows had a terrible leak. Called Caradco about this problem. They did come out and decided they need extra padding to help seal the windows. This still did not correct problem. Called them again and was told that all double hung windows will have some leakage. We had to then tolorated this problem. Over the years we have had some condensation build up but the winter of 2001 & 2002 we then started getting alot of moisture build up on the windows during the cold weather season. Now we noticed in October of 2002 that the wood frames are now rotting out. Call Caradco again. They came out and said we have too much humidity in the house and that the contractors are making houses to airtight. On defense of the contractor, they are one of the most replicable company's in are area. They do many parade of homes. Caradco also said the colder the temperature outside the less humidity you should have inside. We then had to get a dehumidifier. Have you ever heard of having to run a dehumidifier in the winter. Half of our home has ponderosa pine walls which do need moisture in winter to keep them from drying out. I was taught in elementary school that when cold air meets warm air that it makes condensation. Now I'm thinking back to the air leakage that was the first original problem. Could this be our rotting problem? I am also for pursuing a class action suit but know nothing about how to go about it.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

Thread Closed
The Webmaster has closed this topic to new posts. Please see the “Most Relevant Post” as suggested by the forum Moderator or go to top of topic for a full history of this topic as it may have been answered. We also recommend searching other topics to see if your question has been answered or starting a new topic.

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC