> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Rotten Lally column under raised ranch center beam in garage
Login | Register

Rotten Lally column under raised ranch center beam in garage

Posted by Martin Polak on February 12th, 2003 12:19 PM
In reply to framing basement lally columns by chris on August 9th, 2001 12:17 PM [Go to top of thread]

I have a problem. My raised ranch home built in 1964 had a slight moisture problem due to poor upkeep of the grading by the previous owner. I have since corrected the problem and last weekend I set about the task of replacing the drywall in the garage on the wall leading to the lower floor living area. When I ripped down the drywall I noticed that the lally column supporting the center I beam which runs through the garage and lower living space is badly rotten where it meets the concrete floor. My guess is that surface water over time crept under the drywall and slowly rotted out the metal casing of the lally column. The lally column sits on a metal pedestal and meets the I-beam with a top cap. I measured the lally column and it is exactly 7'0". I went to Home Depot and found that they only have 8'0" lally columns. I spotted another product . . . Tiger J Pro Adjustable Jack Post which can be extended up to 8' while supporting 21,000 lbs. The label on the 8'0" lally column also says it is rated to support 21,000 lbs. The adjustable jack post costs about $15 more than the lally column. Since the column will be hidden behind new drywall walls would it be acceptable to use the adjustable jack post as a permanent solution, rather than having to find a 7'0" lally column or have to cut an 8'0" lally column and deal with plumbing the column while raising and lower the center beam with a jack post. Either way I will need to buy a jack post to raise and lower the beam, so I wonder whether this approach would be safe and effective long term. Thanks.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC