> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Rotted Joists--I think I'm in trouble.
Login | Register

Rotted Joists--I think I'm in trouble.

Posted by Regina on July 23rd, 2004 03:06 PM

Moderator Post (s) for this thread:
> Second floor joists by tomh on 07/23/2004
> Chicago Brick by doug seibert on 07/25/2004

Short version of a seriously long story: I bought a "rehabbed" house in Chicago about 9 months ago. The problems in this house are legion--there's a lawsuit pending--but here's the Problem Du Jour:

The floor of my 2nd floor bath has a downhill slope of about 4 inches over a 10-foot span. This is due to the joists below, which are rotten beyond repair. I have hired someone (originally to level the floor, but then we saw what the deal was with the joists and decided THAT was more serious.)

Here's the thing: HE wants to jack up the floor from underneath, then place a support pole and have that as the main support of the floor. (He hasn't said anything about replacing or sistering the joists, which I find...odd, to say the least--but maybe I'm just not understanding his whole plan.)

I, on the other hand, lean more towards "Let's rip out the ceiling (or the floor, whatever works best) and replace those rotted joists entirely." I mean, if we're going to do it, let's do it all the way. He seems less-than-enthusiastic about this option.

My main concerns: 1) is his way enough support? 2) What are the risks involved in just jacking up a floor like that?? From what I understand, jacking up large structural portions of a building should be a slow (weeks, months even) process, done in tiny increments to avoid major structural damage. He says otherwise....

He's insured, so I guess it's not life-and-death--but still, I've been through enough with this house and would really prefer no further catastrophe. Any advice on the best course of action would be greatly appreciated.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC