> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > rotted header board
Login | Register

rotted header board

Posted by LJ in TX on January 10th, 2000 10:20 PM
In reply to What support is needed by Ed on January 10th, 2000 09:48 PM [Go to top of thread]

Ed, I am sorry but I still dont get the full picture. the floor joist you speak of, are they the second floor, floor joist, above the sliding glass door header board? The 2z4 is it above or below the sliding glass door and header board? Yes you probably need some temporary load support before you remove the rotted header board...until you can get the new header board in place. Usually any header board above a doorway is supported by what they call Jack or King studs on either side of the header board to transfer the weight of the roof and joist above to the solid foundation below. Sounds a little tricky and complex..I would recommend spending a few bucks to pay an experienced carpenter to replace it for you ...or spend 4 or 5 $'s on a good carpentry basics book that can explain this process to you with might be able to find good help and illustrations on the web as well....Here is a web site that may be a little helpful

Maybe other folks on the bulletin board can post some helpful suggestions too....especially Henry in MI or Jay J. Good luck to you.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

• Thanks by Ed  1/11/00 01:21 PM
  • Maybe ... by Jay J  1/12/00 08:26 AM
  • HEADER BOARD by Barbara Johnnie Ramey  2/3/03 01:21 PM (: 1, : 0)

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC