> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Roof Venting
Login | Register

Roof Venting

Posted by John on December 17th, 2002 06:20 PM
In reply to Cathedral Ceiling Moisture Problems by Don Jackson on January 29th, 2001 05:28 PM [Go to top of thread]

I am about to have my roof reshingled with architectual asphalt shingles. I have a bedroom which has a cathedral ceiling. There is no ridge vent now. I was going to have the roofer put one in, but there are also no soffit vents. It has only two single "post vents" (they look like mushrooms, kinda), but I assume they only vent between thwo airspaces, not the entire cathedral ceiling roof. The house is old... (1720). So, the first question... how do I vent this roof? Should I just let him roof it the way it exists now, with ridge and soffit vents? or at least put in a ridge vent? I dont think he will be able to sdo soffits, and besides if the ceiling is insulated, it may block air passage anyway. The second question is; How do I vent a half roof? By this I mean, I have a "lean to" kitchen attached to the back of the house. Half of this kitchen attaches to the side of the house, so its roof terminates against a flat upright wall of the house, and the other half drops straight down to the ground, so its like cutting a house directly in half at the ridge and adding a flat wall to the side you just cut. Now, how do I vent this "half roof"? Is there such thing as a "half ridge-vent"? And if so, what do I do when it runs against the upright wall of the house? Did I confuse you? Welcome to the club. Any help would be valuable. Thanks!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC