> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Roof vent option - fake gutter
Login | Register

Roof vent option - fake gutter

Posted by Norm on January 30th, 2002 10:16 PM

I am looking to re-do a roof over my cathedral ceiling den. It is sloped from the ridge to the edge of the brick-veneered outer wall of the house, with no eave, just a fascia board. The existing roof has no ridge vent.

I want to add a ridge vent, but do not like the metal strip edge vent (some call it a starter vent). I have seen too many of those that get bent and mangled by ladders used to access the roof for leaf removals, etc.

What I would like to use is a "fake gutter", just a box attached to the rafter tails, sealed at the top and outer sides, and having a soffit underneath ... so that I can use regular soffit vents. The "fake gutter would be open on the side where it attaches to the rafter tails, and should allow easier ventilation and better ventilation in combination with the ridge vent.

Has anyone had experience with this type of creative solution? I am especially interested in advice regarding the best way to weatherproof the seam where the roof plywood meets the top edge of the "fake gutter".

What advice do you have to offer? Thanks.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC