> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Roof color- white vs. black
Login | Register

Roof color- white vs. black

Posted by Bob on February 12th, 2003 04:58 PM
In reply to I WANT TO PAINT MY ASPHALT SHINGLES ROOF by MARTHA E MANTILLA on October 10th, 2002 09:05 AM [Go to top of thread]

I have a customer who has a shed dormer 12x 15 on the back of her cape stlye house. She asked me to replace the roll roofing on the dormer, on inspectioning the roof, I found the existing roll roofing had complety lost all the granuals and asphalt coating leaving only the felt backing.

The roof is exposed to the sun all day till late afternoon, the dormer roof has a 3 or 4 pitch roof and the roof surface is not visable form the ground.

After stripping the existing rool material , installed a layer of Ice & Water. After seeing that the existing black roll roofing had completly failed, I stalled white roofing to reflect the sun's heat.

I have been unable to convince her that it is good roofing practice to use white colored roofing material to reflect the heat, insteat of putting back the black colored roofing that had failed.

I have not found any articles to support this practice. Is this good roofing practice or am I wrong?

Thank You

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC