> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > RL Suede SUCCESS!!
Login | Register

Posted by Victoria on May 18th, 2002 12:49 PM
In reply to Suede Faux Finish by Jay on October 20th, 2001 06:24 PM [Go to top of thread]

Moderator Post:
> Ralph Lauren Paint Help by Handyman on 10/27/2004

Right On Jay!!

I tried the little xxx's down the wall in a two foot width, and when dry that's what they looked like.

I started with a thick undercoat, I filled the roller with paint and used slow very very light delicate pressure ( my rollers are still good and very usable) taking a little off the edges of the roller to avoid the noticible lines down the wall, and also did the sweep from ceiling to floor. It actually made a very nice finish, not at all too motley. Velvety looking it was. When washing the rollers, don't scrub them, just hold them under a faucet and gently use your fingers to get the paint off.

My success came from reversing the xxx's and doing it on an upsweep instead of a downsweep, starting at the ceiling. Also I followed your advice about random xxx's but I did not go all across the wall. Instead, I did it in about 4 foot sections going down, also in random spots. I would start in the middle of a section and work up down and across so that it kept connecting with all the other xxx's, again very random and much bigger xxx's. probably 10 inches instead of the little 6 inch ones. At this point, I did not put too much paint on the brush just enough so it went on nicely but not thickly.

I find with this paint you really have to experiment with it on the wall, and get your pressure, speed and technique sorted out. Without a teacher it's pretty much trial and error.

The result is a suede wall. We are very happy with it. I'd use it again. I used 31/2 cans of paint, because I did one wall twice and had a spill...oops!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Thread Closed
The Webmaster has closed this topic to new posts. Please see the “Most Relevant Post” as suggested by the forum Moderator or go to top of topic for a full history of this topic as it may have been answered. We also recommend searching other topics to see if your question has been answered or starting a new topic.

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC