> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > RL Suede Paint -- the way to succeed.
Login | Register

RL Suede Paint -- the way to succeed.

Posted by Eric Croskey on October 23rd, 2002 03:12 PM
In reply to Ralph Lauren Suede Paint by Angela on November 14th, 2000 02:55 PM [Go to top of thread]

Like most, I was scared to try this. It most certainly isn't cheap, it's a pain to try to fix if you go another route after trying and failing. So, I took failure out of the picture. I wasn't allowed to lose.

Anyway, here is what you need to win this battle.

1 9" with 3/8" nap ceiling roller -stay with me

4 RL 4" Unique finsh rolers (or 4 per every 250' of wall)

1 2" high quality (real hair) cut in brush

2 gallons per every 250' of wall

Primer - whatever kind you like. I used Glidden primer/sealer.

Bright lighting -seriously get a halogen flood lamp before starting. Most handyguys have them, so borrow one if you don't want to buy one.

Give yourself 2 days for this project. MAKE SURE YOU PRIME THE WALLS. Start with the 2" brush and cut in the walls and ceiling, taping off of course. Then with the 9" ceiling roller roll the wall out. Break it into section around 36" wide and do half the height at a time. The reason I used ceiling rollers is that they hold a lot of paint. You could even use a 1/2" nap if you wanted to. Make sure you have a lot of paint on each time you roll. Continue this method until the wall is done. Stand back look it over, admire your work. You are done for today.

Day 2: Wake up. Get excited, you have a lot of fun coming up. Fill your tray and today we are only going to use the 4" rollers. Start by cutting in 36" section along the corners and ceiling with the roller. After the cutting in is done, load your roller with a lot of paint, and I mean as much as it will hold without dripping the liquid gold all over you-the floor- remember, it is expensive. Now, do the X's like the say, but with a twist. On the can, they show them (X's) all looking the same size, and all going the same direction. WRONG. Mix it up, have some fun. Make some huge (within reason) and make some small. Turn some sideways. Just keep making them. And keep loading your roller. Now before moving to fast, blend them together just a little before you move on. This is the key to getting rid of the overstated X's that everyone hates. To do a 36"x36" section it should take you no more than 2 minutes start to end. That includes loading, cutting in, creating your X's and blending. You do have to move quite fast. One good tip on the can is to do it in a fan shape. By doing this, you will never have a hard edge to come back to, you can keep blending backward.

Do this over and over. I painted a 244 sq/ft wall in 45-50 minuted using this technique and it turned out great. Remember to change to a new roller every time you get to a new 1/4 of the wall. Mentally break your wall into 1/4's and when you get to a new one, change to a new roller.

I think a lot of the things written on the boards are because people simply think it is difficult. It really is a simple process, so think of it as such. It is a couple simple steps that you need to follow, but you will get great results everytime.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC