> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > River Rock selection
Login | Register

River Rock selection

Posted by Sean on July 8th, 2002 03:03 PM
In reply to Ralph Lauren River Rock Paint by john tuomi on January 18th, 2001 11:57 AM [Go to top of thread]

Moderator Post:
> Ralph Lauren Paint Help by Handyman on 10/27/2004

I wanted to give my experiance with RL textured paints, specifically the River Rock collection. Last year I decided to paint my home office something *different* using an outdoorsy, natural, theme. I selected the Mossy Green color, with an opposing crimson Red decor wall for effect. My fiancé and I had seen a house that had used this collection of paint and the effect was exactly what we were looking for so off to Home Depot we go.

After picking out the particular color(s) for the room we bought 4 cans for a 13' X 9 room which should have been plenty. I bought some Sherwin William's base primer for the walls and ceiling and applied evenly before using the RL paint. Our idea was to paint 3 of the 4 walls with the river rock from ceiling to baseboard and the 4th wall slightly more than a 1/3. This wall is separated with a 2" strip of chair rail so we wanted the above 2/3 to be a dark crimson red. I bought a flat custom mix at Sherwin William's to take advantage of a big sale they were having and in the process saved half of the same thing in RILL. Now onto the painting.

Again I primed all the walls with a soft gray primer First the ceiling, again using a flat greenish-gray color from Sherwin, that went on smooth and took two coats due to the textured finish. Next came the River Rock, I applied the first coat to the letter of instructions using RL's custom roller nab well when it dried it looked terrible, streaks and roller-marks were everywhere. I called RL's toll-free help line just to confirm the directions and the proper technique. The person on the phone assured me that the problems would be hidden with a second coat and she told me to reload my roller constantly, she told me to use a LOT of paint. Ok so I did a second coat on the *test* wall, the streaking was a lot less but I had terrible roller marks, since both my fiancé and I were painting the wall with the same nap and made sure our pressure was just right we called the help line again to complain. To make things worse the *custom* nap that RL suggests for this paint was beginning to come apart so when I spoke to the person on the line I was very irate. I was out 2 cans of paint at $35.00 a can and two $19.99 nabs and my wall looked terrible. The lady suggested I take back all the paint and rollers for a full refund at Home Depot, she gave her name to authorize the refund. Disappointed I decided to take things back but she did suggest one last thing and since I had really nothing to loose money wise I tried it. She recommended a bottle of Flotrawl (paint thinning liquid) and a paint pad. I went to the store bought both things and came back. I decided to stick with the test wall and added a couple cap-fulls of flotrawl and went to work with the pad. I slowly and with light, steady pressure dragged a well soaked pad in even strokes down the wall. Starting about 2" below the ceiling and stopping 2" above the floorboard make one even pass. Then lightly blend in the top and bottom and continue with the whole wall. Well when it dried the effect was clear, no streaks or roller-marks, no distortion in the finish. Next, feeling brave we moved to one of the still untouched primed walls. Using the same technique the result was the same, clean and clear finish. I called the lady from RL back and told her that the last tip had worked, she told me to go to HD and pick up two more cans of my color for replacement of the 1 1/2 can's I wasted. Also she told me to take back the RL roller nab's for a full refund too.

Let me sum it up this way....Once you get it right the effect is great and if you have the patience then it's a great product.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Thread Closed
The Webmaster has closed this topic to new posts. Please see the “Most Relevant Post” as suggested by the forum Moderator or go to top of topic for a full history of this topic as it may have been answered. We also recommend searching other topics to see if your question has been answered or starting a new topic.

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC