> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Right On!
Login | Register

Right On!

Posted by Jay J on January 26th, 1999 04:56 PM
In reply to Framing Walkthrough, what to look for? by Rob on January 25th, 1999 09:34 PM [Go to top of thread]

No, I'm not a home inspector. Your inquiry about having your friend hire a home inspector, in my view, is right on! Here are a few things to consider. (BTW, I just got done answering a similiar question on another forum so lots is going on in my head ...)

1) Do YOU want to keep your friends? If the answer is yes, inform him/her that you suggest a home inspector because you're not comfortable with something that's truely outside your expertise. You're honest, so don't stop now. Besides, you WANT to keep your friends.
2) How often does your friend spend $100,000 or $200,000 or more in one shot?! For a few hundred $$$, he can KEEP you as a friend and hire a pro. A few hundred buck is peanuts for peace of mind and a long, lasting friendship.
3) Have you ever been sued?

When your friend looks for an inspector, find one that's ASHI-approved, has at least a few years experience doing home inspections, registers OK with the BBB, has experience in the building trade(s), and can give him a report on the spot. FWIW, our inspector from 5 years ago had 15 years in the General Contracting business and 17 years doing home inspections. He came recommended after questioning 5 other services. The American Association of Home Inspectors doesn't just register 'anyone' with them that's in the home inspection business. Look in the newspaper for courses on: Learn To Be A Home Inspector In Just 10 Days. Some of the potential inspectors I interviewed on the phone were ex-school teachers and truck drivers! A couple of them wanted me to wait 3-5 days for a report, and all it was was a sheet of paper with a bunch of check lists! Make sure he/she looks at a sample report to see if it's worth the $$$. ASHI has a WEB site (probably, or something like that).

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC