> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Ridge Vent
Login | Register

Ridge Vent

Posted by Cordella Rice on February 21st, 2003 01:07 AM
In reply to Installing ridge vents by Bruce Miller on September 10th, 1997 11:08 PM [Go to top of thread]

I had a new roof put on my house in Sept, 1993 that included an a fifty foot ridge vent for adequate ventilation cosists of 1 sq ft. free open area for every 150 sq ft. of attic floor space. My full ten warranty states that if the roof leaks due to detect in the shingles or workmanship it will be repaired free of charge.I now have a roof leak inside my home, loose shingles. An inspector was sent out my their company who would answer one of my questions, took pictures turned his report into this well know company. Yesterday I get a call that the ridge vent needs replaced because it is allowing water to seep into the home which is causing the leaks; also all fasteners needs to be replaced around the ridge vent; also that the flashing needs replaced or repaired around the vent pipes. Their solution they will replace the ridge vent; repair the flashing plus apply all new shingles at half the costs with the other half of the cost being applied by me since they stated that my warrenty covered only the first year unless I could show that I had maintained the ridge vent. How do you maintain a ridge vent? On the other side of this warranty that was given to me by one of the biggest retail sellers in the U.S. States that wood deck rot/shingle blistering caused by excessive moisture and heat build up in the attic FHA guidelines one sq ft for ea 300 ft of attic space and is warranty exclusive. In other words what could I have done to the ridge vent to keep any leaks from happening? Do I need to get my own inspector to look at it to see if the ridge vent was installed properly in the first place or is it to late. Would the fasteners they used on installation caused this? I had filed a complaint against the contractors who did the job at the time because they had left a lot of pop ups; plus instead of leaving me the left over shingles & roll roofing in case I had problems they took it with them yet I had paid for them in my contract. To bad that I cannor locate this copy of my complaint.

Thanks, sorry for this being such a long drawn out question.

By the way this company later quit doing home improvement loans due to the fact of so many problems.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC