> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > restoring lacquer finish
Login | Register

restoring lacquer finish

Posted by Henry in MI on January 12th, 1999 10:49 AM
In reply to Varnish over lacquer? (for kitchen cabinets) by Ron on January 9th, 1999 11:12 PM [Go to top of thread]

4 of 4 people found this post helpful

Ron, my suggestion, what I would do in your position, would be to restore the lacquer finish. First, I would wash with TSP and rinse, then wipe down with lacquer thinner on a day when you can open the windows for good ventilation and be sure that there were no pilot lights or other sources of ignition in the area. Then I would sand lightly with about 400 paper dry, tack rag and follow with a coat of brushing lacquer. Then I would repeat from the sanding step and apply another coat or 2 after the first coat is dry. Since you can apply multiple coats of lacquer quickly and easily on a nice warm spring or summer day, I would wait until then to do it.

Spray lacquer is not exactly the same as brushing lacquer. It is thinned heavily for spraying and the results you get with it are slightly different than with using a brushing lacquer. If you do get any drips or runs, they can be cut off with a single edged razor blade and then sanded flat. Use a sanding block wherever possible on flat surfaces. Removing doors and hardware and doing the door and drawers outside (but not in direct sunshine) will make the job neater and easier, but you do not absolutely, positively have to do it (but I would).

Have fun and don't work too hard on this.
Henry in MI

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC