> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Response
Login | Register

Posted by JackD on April 5th, 2001 12:34 PM
In reply to blown or roll by tigerstripe on April 5th, 2001 10:09 AM [Go to top of thread]

Tigerstrip, first let me say that I don't normally get into this type of discussion or defend my position. Especially when JayJ did such a good job of it for me. These normally do not help the original poster and cause friction between the respondents because it's hard for you to see the expression on my face from where you are or to hear the tone, timber and inflections in my voice. Nothing here is meant to belittle or be derogatory, no matter how it reads. What a disclaimer! I try to make my responses, short, clear and concise. Now, you've got to remember that I'm only up to chapter three on my "Hooked on Phonics" home study course, so sometimes I'm miss the mark a little or a lot. I also assumed that Gene had a working knowledge of English and would know that the word "If" meant "in the event that" or "on condition that" and would understand that if the conditions I laid out weren't true then it wouldn't apply to him. Meaning no disrespect here to Gene, but there was a lot of information missing in the query. Things such as roof pitch, truss or stick built, amount of insulation, kind of insulation, what size is the attic, what's going to be stored in the attic, are there electrical wires over the ceiling joists and is there HVAC equipment in the attic. Having supplied those bits of information would have made answering more precise and all would have a bearing on whether or not to floor the attic. I don't know about all parts of the country but builders in the Texas area love truss systems. This normally means that they have 2x4 ceiling joists and blow in insulation to get to R-30. And if they don't use trusses they still like blown insulation. FMHA requires that before they loan money on a house that it have, and here memory fails me, either 8 or 12 inches of insulation in the attic. Most of the older homes have none or 3 1/2 inches and the easiest way to comply with their requirements is to blow in the extra insulation or use unfaced insulation and lay it perpendicular to the joists. I have spent a lot of time in attics in the south and very seldom find that the insulation is level with the ceiling joists and I guess that's the rub, my personal experience differs from yours.

Now in one of your post you stated "I don't see a need for 12" of insulation in an attic...the insulation only should be as high as the joists......". Like I say, I'm only on Chapter Three, but I can only interpret that one way. How can you possibly get R-30 insulating value if you have a 2x4 truss system for the roof? And we don't know that he doesn't. Also, as stated in the previous paragraph, some homes have either no insulation or insufficient insulation and the cheapest and quickest way to insulate is, normally, to add to what's there. That usually necessitates going above the joists with the insulation.

The reason I only addressed insulation in the post was because it is the most important "negative". It's the one that could cause higher utility bills, possibly sagging ceilings or nail popping, depending on how much insulation was compressed and the size of the ceiling joists.

So, yes, I was assuming that he probably had blown insulation and again that comes from my level of experience and I probably shouldn't have assumed. No, no, don't go there, I know the old saying about "assuming".

O.K. I'm going to go now and read Chapter 4 and maybe I can eliminate this type of conflict in the future. My reading comprehension test is scheduled for Monday. I still like the storage shed.

JayJ, I noticed under the post, "This board isn't very effective is it?" that the post by Lissa is gone. No great loss but it makes me look kinda stupid when I'm answering someone who isn't there! I don't have a problem with mine being deleted also.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC