> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > reply
Login | Register

Posted by Frank M. Brigandi on March 10th, 2003 08:38 AM
In reply to Refinishing Teak floors by Ed Kimbrough on January 20th, 2000 05:37 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hello, I may have an answer for you.
I have had great succes using Basic Coatings floor finishing products in regard to refinishing teak flooring.
Floor has to be sanded. after sanding scraping, buffing etc.etc.. you can seal the floor using Basic Coationgs Hydroline sealer.2 coats minimum to ensure adaquate coverage. After it has dried 2 hours approximately, buff the floor with a red pad. Then apply the Basic coatings Top coat of your choice, I would reccomend Street shoe, it is one of the best floor finishes available today and always looks nice even if you have minimal experience applying or using these sort of products. just follow the instructions when applying the finish coats to ensure a level surface. Less is more, apply thin repeated coats rather than heavier fewer coats,. Applying thinner coats always looks better and ensures less chance of making a mistake. You can apply up to 5 coats in one afternoon if the sitiuation is right for drying time and ventilation. a semigloss looks amazing on teak as well any other type of flooring that you may wish to refinish.

If the floor has a finish on it, ie Oil base Poly, you can use the IFT, Squeaky, TYKOTE,Street shoe approach with no machinery except maybe an auto scrubber (that's how I do it) I use the IFT in conjunction with an Auto scrubber to apply remove it) then use squeaky in the auto scrubber) apply the tykote sealer, then street shoe.....

good luck

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC