> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Replacing ropes in old windows
Login | Register

Replacing ropes in old windows

Posted by Ed Parker on February 6th, 2000 11:38 AM
In reply to Old Windows by Pam on February 6th, 2000 09:53 AM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Pam,
Most old windows have an access panels located on the jambs. It sould have two screws which, when removed, will allow access to the rope and pulley system. The weights will probably be at the bottom of the cavity and may need to be fished out. Reinstall new ropes and that's it. Most older windows like yours have been painted many times. The access panels may have several layers of old brittle paint covering the screws and panels. Use a scraper and a razor knife to cut through the paint and to clear the screw slots prior to attempting to remove the panels. Do a good job so you don't strip the screw heads, as that will make the task much more difficult. Page 118 in Reader's Digest Complete Do-it-Yourself Manual has complete details with illustrations. You will find this at your bookstore or local library. Good Luck.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC