> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Replacing non-grounding outlets with grounding type
Login | Register

Replacing non-grounding outlets with grounding type

Posted by JT on June 15th, 1998 03:19 PM
In reply to Grounding an Outlet by George on June 15th, 1998 08:29 AM [Go to top of thread]

0 of 2 people found this post helpful

George, as you found out when you tested it, connecting
to the box accoplishes nothing since the box is not
grounded. Basicly, there are two options that would
allow you to install grounding type outlets. The
first, and easiest, is to protect the circuit with
a GFCI, either with an outlet style GFCI installed
at the first outlet in the circuit with the rest of
the outlets in the circuit fed from the GFCI's load
side, or with a GFCI breaker (much more expensive)
in place of the normal breaker. The grounding type
outlets must then be labled: "GFCI protected" and
"No Equipment Ground".
The second option is to supply a ground. This does
not have to mean rewiring; the NEC allows a separate
grounding conductor to be run as long as it is protected
and connected to an appropriate place on your grounding
electrode system, eg. the panels ground block. Note:
you cannot just connect to any convienient
piece of water pipe. Check on local amendments
to the NEC wich might be relevant first though.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC