> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Replacing Ceiling Fan Switch from wall to pull string
Login | Register

Replacing Ceiling Fan Switch from wall to pull string

Posted by Anderson on February 10th, 2001 04:17 PM

I have a ceiling fan. I can't tell you what brand. I can't find a brand name on it or the switch. It's been here since I moved in a year ago. The wall switch looked like one here
It's labled "WH" farthest to the left. It's VERY annoying. You have to flip it to ON. Then press the button once for each level of brightness or fan speed. It makes an annoying beep and you have to wait 1-2 seconds between pressing the buttons. I always use the same settings when I'm in the room and would prefer just having a normal on/off wall switch and if I need to adjust use the pull strings which are available. I know how to replace a normal switch. There are only 2 wires going into the switch + ground. I bought a standard replacement switch and installed it. Nothing happened though! It didn't turn anything on or off. I checked the wiring and it was all connected to the right connectors. I even tried switching them! I adjusted the pull strings. What could be going wrong? Do I need a dimmer? Is this switch all that will work with the light/fan? What might you suggest.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC