renovateyourworld.com > Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Replacing Basement Stairs
Login | Register

Replacing Basement Stairs

Posted by J Tianis on October 17th, 2002 05:17 PM

2 of 2 people found this post helpful

I need some advice on replacing my old worn pine basement stairs. We have recently finished our basement and the old beat up stairs just don't cut it.

We have decided that to go with oak but my contractor just wants to put the new oak treads over the old pine treads. I want to remove the old treads as it already feels kind of cramped as you walk down the stairs and I don't want to lose anymore height.

The problem is that the treads dont end right at the wall...they go into the drywall at least three inches on each side. So we will have to tear the lower part of the wall out to pull off the pine treads.

Deep breath....ahhhh....So my question is, should I spend the extra money to tear off the wall and replace the old treads or just cover them and deal with the cramped feel?

And second...If we do decide to remove the old treads and install the oak treads...can I just use the new oak 1 1/8th " thick treads alone or do I need to add plywood underneath to help support them? It is a 42" wide staircase.

Every helpful response will get a glowing and thankful email in return.

THANKS!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

• Stairs by Bill OH  10/18/02 06:28 AM (: 1, : 1)
  • Staircase by Jim B.  10/20/02 07:09 PM (: 1, : 0)
  • steps by hurkswoman@aol.com  3/21/06 06:45 PM

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2014 Renovate Your World LLC