> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Replacement of joists..?
Login | Register

Replacement of joists..?

Posted by John 2000 on September 27th, 1999 03:51 PM
In reply to Replacing Rotted Floor Sills, Installing Fondation Under Exsisting Room by Vicky on September 27th, 1999 02:40 PM [Go to top of thread]

0 of 1 people found this post helpful

Vicky, Hi"
Your best bet is to replace the whole floor.
Take everything out (floor wise), then because you have
no floor support you will have to fix a timber joist about
4" x 6" along both sides of the wall drill and plug the timber
to the building foundation.
"Important" leave the skirting (plinth) on the wall, you will
need that to help you with location of the new floor.and this
is how it can be done....
Run two timbers 4x6 along both sides of the room, drill and fix
the timber to the wall at a hight I'm going to tell you ...
First you have the thickness of the floorboard itself, we
will call this "A", next you have the thickness of the joist "B" then
you add the "A and the "B" together you will have the hight from the
plinth/skirting board to the top of the 6x4 which you will fix to the wall
on both sides of the room.(This is called a wall plate)the wall plate must
be painted because it will be against the wall.
The floor joists can be at 18"centers, start at one end fix a joist the again
18" another joist, and so on till you come to the wall on the other side
you must place a joist against the wall but leave a space of 2"between the wall
and the can cover the joists with plywood/chipboard or anyother material
you think will do the job, but remember it has to be
known how thick it will be before you fix the wall plate, and dont forget this will
be you "A" size.
Have fun....
John 2000

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC