> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > replace it
Login | Register

replace it

Posted by bc on May 1st, 2000 09:56 AM
In reply to kerosene smell killing me need help!!!!!!!!! by Sondra on April 30th, 2000 07:06 PM [Go to top of thread]

I don't think you'll be able to soak it up but you probably have time to try it before you end up ripping up the floor.

I'm concerned your plywood has glue damage now. Take a screwdriver and start stabbing it. If it is soft and pieces chip up easily then you will have to replace it just the same as with water damage. I am also concerned about the fire hazard potential. A spark from your new heater or other ignition source and you have a torch that would be very hard to put out.

Kerosene/diesel smell is hard to get rid of. It is a heavy oil that doesn't evaporate like gasoline. Try some dawn dishwashing detergent that Jim advises is used for crude oil cleanup.

When I used to wash diesel stained clothes, I added solvent to the washer. It replaces the diesel with a sweeter smelling solvent. You could try some solvent on the floor but it is a more highly flammable substance so precautions such as ventilation are needed. Solvent vapors getting into an ignition source such as the furnace or water heater and kaboom.

What kind of wall material do you have?

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC