> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Repeat ...
Login | Register

Repeat ...

Posted by Jay J on October 22nd, 1998 08:37 AM
In reply to It was Painters Tape by ChrisR on October 21st, 1998 02:00 PM [Go to top of thread]

Like I said, I'd wait 'till the paint dries. I wasn't suggesting you pull the tape off when the paint is wet. I said that if you pull off the tape when it's wet, the paint may RUN on you. Maybe you were reading another Follow-up or mis-read mine. This suggestion would be in line with your 10% re-taping if you let the paint dry before you pull off the tape ...

You can go with what BruceM says and avoid taping all together. Another thought is that the paint, as Bruce says, isn't a good quality paint. I know a sound, professional painter uses paints such as Finneran & Haley, Sherwin-Williams, Duron, and others. This is one of the reasons a pro charges more. I pay $18 - $25 per gallon for paint. I paint but once every 10 years or so and it always looks great. You pay more up front but you get what you pay for. Sears and the Home Centers sell paint for $8 per gallon, on up. I'm NOT assuming you're buying cheap paint but if you are, this is my $.02 on the 'subject'. As often as I paint, I'd rather spend this kind of $$$ once than have to paint every 5 years! (JMO)

And to reiterate what BruceM says, it's quite possible that the 'cheap' paint you may be using is not helping. So, try the take-your-time-and-practice method he suggests if you're using the good stuff. There are special brushes for trim (as he states). And again, for a few $$$ more on a good brush, it's worth it to make the job go better and look better. In short, for me, since I'm not a pro, I spend the $$$ on good paint, stain, brushes, and good painter's tape. In 25 years, it's never been a problem. To each his own whichever method(s) you use.

As always, my best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC