> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Repairing Textured Ceiling
Login | Register

Repairing Textured Ceiling

Posted by Andrew in NY on March 10th, 2000 08:34 AM

1 of 4 people found this post helpful

First, thanks to the regulars for past advice!

Last night I was in the attic of my ranch house doing some wiring, and stepped between two joists! Duh! Fortunately, my foot did not go all the way through the ceiling below, but in the master bedroom, which I am prepping for paint, I cracked the drywall. It is four cracks meeting at the same point, leaving at near right angles. It appears to be in the middle of a sheet, not on a seam. I have done drywall repair on plain walls before, but the ceiling is textured (sand finish?) My question is, how do I go about repairing these cracks? I can push the drywall back in place. Should I use tape? (there is not any downward pressure on the cracks, so I do not think they would open up again) How large of an area should I apply the compound? Can I try to sand off the finish just around the cracks, and just compound the cracks, or do I need to do a much larger area? How do I duplicate the textured finish? Can I use joint compound and hit it with a stiff brush just before it dries, or should I use something else? Plaster? Textured primer? The old texture looks like someone took a wide brush and made arcs in the finish at different angles. I know that I won't get it perfect, but I also don't want a big spot of smooth ceiling! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC