> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > removing tar from hard wood floor with no damage
Login | Register

removing tar from hard wood floor with no damage

Posted by easy to do on February 9th, 2003 08:53 AM
In reply to How do I remove lenolium from my hardwood floor? by Alta on August 22nd, 2001 01:15 AM [Go to top of thread]

do not use
paint thinner, paint stripper, mineral spirits,

the problem is not the tar paper left behind from old linoleum backing.the problem is the glue beneath that.i would be willing to bet that the adhesive itself is a water based have to get water past the tar paper and into contact with the can do this by mixing a bucket of hot water with alot of dish soap.use any type of sponge to apply soapy water to floor.get it very wet.soak it good.let it soak in for about five minutes to start with ,you may discover it takes a little longer or maybe not as long but you will be amazed.take any putty knive type of tool an scrape it up.this should happen without having to use very much pressure at all.if its difficult then use more liquid or wait a little longer.when the tar paper is up the glue mops added bonus to this approach is that you will not be creating dust.i dont think that the particular type dish soap matters but for the record,i used ULTRA SUN LIGHT lemon citrus burst which also made the job smell a little more pleasant. i didnt have any on hand but i know that murphys oil soap is very effective at cutting through petrolium based products and could perhaps work just as effectively.what a relief it was to discover this.good luck.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC