> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Removing Popcorn Ceilings
Login | Register

Removing Popcorn Ceilings

Posted by Jerri Pennington on February 18th, 2002 12:22 AM
In reply to asbestos by Slyee on February 17th, 2002 09:03 AM [Go to top of thread]

Thanks to everybody for your input. We took a sample to a local lab, and they will test it for $15. I've already taken down the ceiling in one room, and it comes off very easily. That was before I knew about the asbestos. Some people say not to remove the popcorn if it has asbestos in it. The environmental abatement companies will come into your home and remove it with a hazmat suit, respirators, negative air pressure machines, and ion "things". So I guess I didn't realize how serious it is. They also suggest testing the air in the home after removal, cleaning the ductwork, and hepa-vacumning the carpet. And there I was just scraping the popcorn off with a spatula!! And, it seems a lot of people are scraping it off. I ran into 2 people at a home-improvement store that were doing the same thing. Also, a few of my neighbors took the water sprayer to their ceiling, and scraped theirs off too. So, I guess home repairer beware here, and have it tested first.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC