> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Removing old linoleum adhesive & backing ???
Login | Register

Removing old linoleum adhesive & backing ???

Posted by Colin Croft on May 22nd, 2000 10:23 AM

1 of 3 people found this post helpful

I am restoring my kitchen and have just removed 3 layers of old linoleum flooring. The good news is that all 3 layers came up relatively easily in one bulky 'layer.' The bad news is that this is because all of the old adhesive and much of the black paper 'backing' from the first linoleum layer remains welded to the floor. I have tried a heat gun and several conventional chemicals to remove this with no luck. I have, however, had success in a 'test area' simply hand-sanding with very coarse sandpaper. This was *extremely* difficult, however, and is not an attractive option for the entire floor space (about 110 sq ft). I'm wondering if I can go straight to a floor/drum sander, beginning with some very coarse disks (after nails and other obstructions obviously), or whether there is another option I haven't considered to remove some of this mess before moving on to sanding and finishing.

'Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Colin Croft
Mitchell, NE

PS. I believe the wood flooring (1.5" oak or pine) was installed in the early 1940s, with the first layer of linoleum going in in the early 1950s... Hopefully there is no asbestos risk with the sanding here...

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC