> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > removing old finish from pine paneling
Login | Register

removing old finish from pine paneling

Posted by Carole Malisiak on September 29th, 2003 10:53 PM
In reply to remove, sand, restain, and renail by Alan Tufft on March 15th, 2003 12:00 AM [Go to top of thread]

I used Zip Strip (Original Formula) to strip the old finish from my family room real wood pine paneling. The room is 18 x 22 feet. It worked very, VERY well (unlike the citrus product which I threw away). This is a warm weather project with all the windows wide open because of the strong odor. Zip Strip removed the dark old finish and left my walls clean and light (I left the boards on the wall). Tools needed: eye protective goggles, cheap paint brush, an old coffee can, an old spoon and an old butter knive to get inside the grooves, a putty knife, rubber gloves, lots of old newspapers to cover the floor and to wipe off your putty knife, and lots and lots of steel wool in a medium texture (#00) ( and also a very fine texture (#0000). Procedure: Cover floor with several layers of newspaper. Pour about 1 inch of Zip Strip into coffee can, paint a thick coat of product onto a 3 x 3 foot square of wall. Let set a few minutes: product bubbles up. Before it dries, use putty knife to easily remove the finish (like slicing through butter). While product is still wet, use rough steel wool to wipe off the remaining product. Work in the direction of the grain. Put a second coat on stubborn spots and remove old finsih in the same way. The third and final coat is a very, very thin coat of Zip Strip. Using #0000 steel wool, wipe off area in direction with the grain until dry for a finished look. Move to a new area and repeat. I used about 4 gallons on my room. Zip Strip works great and my walls look light. Caution: Zip Strip is a very strong product and it will feel burny on your skin. Rinse it off with water and keep it out of your eyes. I left my clean walls clean. I think it was well worth the effort and a lot more simple than removing the paneling. The room is light and airy, but also has character which I don't have to paint on with a faux finish.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC