> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > removing oil stain from granite
Login | Register

removing oil stain from granite

Posted by Lew on April 5th, 2003 09:38 AM
In reply to Removing stain from Granite--GOOD LUCK, ITS HARD TO DO by Darren Mehler on January 11th, 2001 07:32 PM [Go to top of thread]

3 of 3 people found this post helpful

We recently installed a light color granite countertop. To our horror oil soaked right in and produced a stain even on a sealed surface. I panicked but was able to remove the stain. I'm even getting pretty good at this as I have now had to do it twice. Granite may be hard but its also porous. Here's what I did. I poured Energine spot remover (flammable - available at hardware stores)over the stain and left a puddle there overnight. In the morning the remover had evaporated and the stain was very light. I then poured more over the stain and let it stand for a half hour. I wiped up the excess and then took a hair dryer to help dry the spot. Don't try to get all the remover to evaporate from the heat. All you want to do is speed up the process. With most of the remover evaporated, I waited for the rest to leave by itself. An hour later the remainder of the remover and the stain were gone. Try might work for you too.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC