> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Removing Formica.
Login | Register

Removing Formica.

Posted by John 2000 on March 13th, 1999 03:25 PM
In reply to Formica Counter repair by Bob Rybicki on February 26th, 1999 09:10 AM [Go to top of thread]

"Hi" Bob,
You have two ways to make your kitchen look good again
(1) This is the hard one, you will have to take a wood chisel
a wide one wider the beter, and it must be sharp, you start and try
to cut between the formica and the base ( what the formica is glued to.
now you must not damage the base which is normaly softer that the formica
so take care, if it comes off in big chunks thats good, but if your luck
is anything like mine it will come off in little bits, TRY not to dig the
chisel into the base, remember you will be putting new formica back on so if
you have lumps and holes it will be a hell of a job making it good again.
NOW the most hard part of all. all formica has an edge, some times the edge of
the other strip on the side will pass over or under, now your with your luck the
other strop of formica will pass over the damaged sheet, ( what you will see is a thin
dark line where the two panels meet.
Dont do any thing with the edge leave it for the moment, You have now taken off all the old
formica, you will have in your tool kit a sanding machine with FINE paper.
sand the surface smooth and slowly sand the edges that I told you about
keep the sander flat ( what you are doing is taking off all the old glue, and bringing the
edge flat with the sanded base.)fill any holes that you may have, ( I use car-body repair kit)
it works well and when it is hard it's easy to sand flat after.
Your base will have a top, bottom, lift side,right side, ok. now the top will be under the
counter, when you mesure the new formica, allow an extra 5mm, (1/4') each side, not too much
remember you will have to take this off later.
You have now made the new formica panel and its ready to fit, put that to one side for the moment
Glue ( now the fun starts) If you go to the tool store ask the sale person about
contact glue, ( you glue two bits of wood wait till the glue is finger dry then when you put them together
it will never move). back to work, first glue the new formica panel thinly not thick then put it to one side.
spread the glue on to the base again thinly, wait 10mins for it to be finger dry ( means when you put your finger
on it it won't stick).
REMEMBER THIS IS A ONE TIME ONLY SHOT, so get it right, place the new formica panel away from the base and lifting
it up to the top (under the counter overhang if you have one,)you also made the panel a lttle larger that the base 5mm,1/4'
some one with you will now press the formica starting
from the top center pressing the panel left to right, slowly moving down the panel always center left to right this way there
will be no funny lumps, make sure that the sides are have a good contact with the base.
in the morning thae formica should be well and truly fixed in place with the edges nice and flat against the base.
with the overhang showing, take a fine file and start filing the edge ( 5mm 1/4' it will take you forever but it will be a job
well done, file down to the other formica that is on the sides starting at 90 d, when you are almost to the other formica
move your file to about 45 d,
then you think it is ok, just run your finger nail over it, if you feel anyting file a little more till it is smooth.
sand off the surface of the old formica and glue another on on top.

Have fun.
John 2000.
PS: if you want to paint the porch, tie the dog up,
I din't now I have the only hairy porch in our area.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC