> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > removing dried mortar from face of bricks after grouting
Login | Register

removing dried mortar from face of bricks after grouting

Posted by Peter C. Wishneuskjy on April 6th, 2003 07:37 PM
In reply to cleaning mortar from used bricks by mel on August 16th, 1999 09:25 PM [Go to top of thread]

1 of 1 people found this post helpful

I'ver had a couple of jobs now where I've covered spalled concrete steps for my customers and have had to use hydrochloric acid as a wash to remove the mortar that ends up on the top surfaces of the new brick steps (a consequence of using a float to "grout" the bricks with the same thinset mortar I use to set/lay the bricks.

It's a time consuming process and I'm looking for a better way to clear off the grey haze left on the bricks after I've grouted and then pointed the seams between bricks.

I've heard of using a brick sealer, but that says I have to first coat the bricks BEFORE they're laid. If I wait till they're all in place, I then need to leave the grout lines empty to take full advantage of the sealer in that I'd be grouting as a secondary step after the bricks are all laid and the thinset has set.

What am I missing here?

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC