renovateyourworld.com > Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Removing coloured wax out of carpet.
Login | Register

Removing coloured wax out of carpet.

Posted by Catherine on October 6th, 1999 06:56 PM
In reply to Cleaning Candle Wax in Carpet by Roger M on October 4th, 1998 11:20 AM [Go to top of thread]

Moderator Post:
> Removing Candle Wax by dmasher on 11/09/2004

Boy oh boy did I ever do it good. I have one of those coloured scented candles that weight about 10 pounds. Well, when that puppy let loose with liquid wax and I mean alot of wax, I was in an absolute panic. It was everywhere. Since the candle was about 4 feet above the carpet it splattered aways and also left a large solid lump of wax in one concentrated area. EEEEEEK!!!!!!!!How do I get that mess out?

Well, first I let ice cubes sit on it awhile and using an ordinary table knife, I scraped off as much as I could. I kept a vacuum clean close by to remove the little tiny bits as I worked with the ice and knife.

Then came the part where there was this large lump of wax just soaked into the carpet. Groan, thought that's it. The jig is up and I'm going to be in BIG TROUBLE.

I was a tad frightened by the iron but went ahead anyway. I used a hot steam iron, not too hot; didn't want to scorch the carpet. I applied about 5 layers of paper towel each time I ironed over this lump and area until I had pretty much had all the wax out but still there remained this lovely red stain from the colour of the wax.

I got an ordinary terry towel face cloth and some WD-40. This is a bold move because it could take out more colour than you want; like the carpet's original colour. Heck, went ahead anyway. I sprayed the area with the WD-40 and scrubbed with the terry towel cloth. I repeated this process a couple times until all the colour of the wax was out. Once that was done I washed the spot with dishsoap and water then blotted dry.

Voila, the carpet area appeared like nothing disasterous ever happened there ever. I get to live another day.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC