> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Removing Ceramic Tile
Login | Register

Removing Ceramic Tile

Posted by BobB on September 6th, 2001 02:04 PM
In reply to removing ceramic tile by T J on September 5th, 2001 08:38 PM [Go to top of thread]

Last year I remodeled the kitchen in a early 50's
ranch house. The home has plaster over drywall lath walls. The kitchen had bright yellow ceramic tile which we had become really tired of. I found an offset trowel whose blade could lay against the wall and the handle offset about 30 degrees. Tapping the hadle with a hammer, the tiles popped off of the wall fairly readily, sometimes taking chunks of the finish coat of plaster with them, and usually leaving large amounts of the tile cement on the wall. Next I took a titanium bladed scraper and scraped all of the cement off of the walls by hand. ( Belt sander didn't work, it's hard to sand cement ). when the walls had been scraped smooth of cement, I patched all of the holes and larger nicks. Then applied several skim coat of drywall topping mix to the entire wall surface, and after dried, sanded smooth. Then a good quality hiding primer, some more topping/sanding, some more primer and two coats of paint. It was a lot of tedious work, but the results were spectacular. A friend tried to talk me into just applying 1/4 inch drywall over the plaster insead of all the patching, but I really like the hard, smooth, durable finish of plaster.
By the way, I would never attempt this without removing all of the cabinets and appliances from the room.
Just my experience. Hope it helps and if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC