> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Removing acoustic ceilings
Login | Register

Removing acoustic ceilings

Posted by Suzanne on April 19th, 2002 08:48 AM
In reply to Removing/replacing Popcorn Ceilings by John Laudani on April 19th, 2002 08:17 AM [Go to top of thread]

I've probably removed over 1500 sq.ft. of it so far and plan to remove even more. If it doesn't contain asbestos then you are good to go. Cover the floor and your furniture with plastic. Get a squirt bottle and fill it with water. I worked in small areas at a time because working over head gets tiring. Pre-wet a section and let it sit just long enough to loosen it. This makes it come down easier and keeps the dust down. I used a scraper that was about 10" wide, the larger it is the less likely you will gouge the drywall underneath. I held the scraper at about a 45 degree angle. The areas where the tape joints are will need more water than the rest, but you will easily know where those are when you start scraping. You can either let the scrapings fall to the floor or you can drop them into a paper bag, I've done it both ways. Once you remove all of it you will have to either texture the ceiling or smooth coat it because all the patches for the nails and the taping will show. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC