> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > removing a section of unwanted water pipe in the basement
Login | Register

removing a section of unwanted water pipe in the basement

Posted by LJ in TX on April 15th, 2002 05:55 PM
In reply to DIY way. by Harold Kestenholz - on April 15th, 2002 05:00 PM [Go to top of thread]

Scott, I am assuming the pipe is galvanized iron. if so.,,,you can take a pipe wrench and unscrew the length of pipe to be remove back to the furthest away threaded fitting whether it is a union, elbow, tee, or other fitting to make a transition to more pipe sections. after unscrewing the section of pipe from the fitting then all you need to do is install a threaded galvanized plug or if you can take the pipe out back to another threaded pipe with threads on the outer cirmumference, you then install a threaded galvanized cap to cap off that line. Use teflon thread goop or teflon tape before intalling the plug or cap. Hope that helps. Post back to let us know if you do have galvanized pipe. if you cannot find a convenient threaded fitting to remove pipe to ...then you can rent a pipe threader to cut threads at the remaining cut end and then install a cap. LJ

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC