> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Removing 1950's style Tile Wall
Login | Register

Removing 1950's style Tile Wall

Posted by Stephen Goldberg on December 7th, 2002 02:09 PM
In reply to We're trying to do it ourselves -- help!! by Jean on April 27th, 2002 08:27 PM [Go to top of thread]

I am currently doing this same project myself just because pink and grey werent my colors. I started with a small sledge hammer and a masons chisel but I realized this would take forever. I went up to Home Depot and rented a demolition hammer, which is like a small handheld jackhammer. This is making short work of the concrete and tile. It still leaves a bit of concrete and the steel mesh, but once you get the bulk off you should find the mesh has become somewhat brittle over time. I am able to bend it to break in some parts, in others I use a wire clipper to cut it. Im about half way done and expect to finish Sunday. Impossible now, messy yes. Id say its about a three day project for removal. Once you are down to your studs, its business as usual. Greenboard it up.

Stephen Goldberg

PS. Depending on how much cement you got off the mesh you could use a reciprocating saw with the right blade to cut the steel mesh, however be careful of wires, studs, and the neighboring wall boards.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC