> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > remove glue from used tiles
Login | Register

remove glue from used tiles

Posted by Chris B on July 5th, 2000 06:14 AM

a friend of ours put in some 20cmX20cm tiles (130 of them), then when he came backthe next day realized he'd made a mistake and tore them all out.

He put them in a big rubber garbage can outside in water and told me to "go to it" scraping off the now dried tile ciment glue on the sides of the tiles.

I think i managed to do 35 tiles in 6 hours---and only reasonably scraping 4 sides clean, the top part being ok,but the bottom of the tiles, impossible. Disgusted and discouraged, the remaining 100 tiles are still outside in water in the garbage can.

I hate the idea of buying 100 new tiles, even if they are still available since i bought them in an outlet type place.

so, 2 urgent questions please :
1. do you know any easier way to get the old dried tile ciment glue off the sides of the tiles? (the glue used was a grey powder which comes in paper ply bags, not the glue in big pails)
2. i was told in my local hardware store that to be able to reuse those tiles, if there was any glue left on the bottom, that we'd have to use a special type glue containing a kind of resin for them to stay glued. true?

some people we're hired are coming in next week to finish up the mottly half done job our friend has up and left us with. so, if we could you get your kind advice before then, that'd be great.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

• You Can by Larry  7/5/00 04:45 PM

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC