> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Removal of load bearing wall
Login | Register

Removal of load bearing wall

Posted by 4runnergusto on March 11th, 2003 08:17 PM

have researched past posts, but want to revisit it for myself. I have a ranch, would like to remove a load bearing wall between kitchen and living room. opening would be 12 feet. The ranch is 28 feet wide, single story, rafter construction. The wall in question is at least 8 feet from the gable end of the house. The ends of the revoval wall in question come pretty close (within a foot or so) of being above the posts that support the steel I beam in the basement. I was thinking of using LVL 3 1/2 inch thick, 12 inch high to span the space. I hate to have to think of going through the whole engineer/contractor/inspector garbage. I don't want to spend $3000 for a job that it seems I can easily do myself. I guess one question I have is what is the load that the wall is actually bearing. The weight of the ceiling joists and drywall is what I figure. I realize drywall is heavy, but exterior walls should be taking up half that 28 feet of load, which doesn't seem like it leaves to terribly much for the center to have to bear. I'll shut up now and wait for more wisdom.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC