> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > releveling a mulit-pour concrete slab
Login | Register

releveling a mulit-pour concrete slab

Posted by Alicia on October 21st, 2002 05:04 PM
In reply to Self-leveling compounds by JT on December 27th, 1997 07:11 PM [Go to top of thread]

Greetings - thanks in advance for any suggestions!

I recently bought a home and ~5 months after closing discovered that the patio room had major termite issues. It was a patio room that was added by multiple home owners over the years, with multiple pours of concrete to make it larger over the years. Most recently - the multi-pour slab was completely enclosed by walls, and the concrete floor was covered w/ plywood, vinyl, carpet pad and then carpet.

The termites came up through the cracks in the multi-pour and/or through the cracks in the settling slab - they started eating away at the plywood. Yum. I discovered them when they also decided to make their home in the west wall and up to the surface of some built in shelves on that wall.

I called the termite guys out - I pulled up all the carpet, pad, vinyl and plywood, vacuumed up all the dirt from the termites and the termite guys came in and drilled lots of holes in the concrete and poured lots of chemicals down and around all of the cracks in the slab. (The house perimeter had already been treated.)

SO - now for my Q. (sorry for the long explanation.) I would like to relay the same carpet back down - but what is the best way to re-level this multipour concrete slab?
I'm kind of shying away from re-laying plywood so as to not give the termites any temptation to come looking again for a tasty supper - but what are my options?
Do I need to seal the cracks against moisture (and termites) coming up from the ground?
If you suggest some sort of self-leveling compound/concrete pour - is this something I can do myself - or is it complicated with expensive damage repair if done improperly?

As for relaying the carpet/pad - if it's already cut exactly to fit - will I have to use any kind of carpet stretcher? (It's Berber if that matters.) Again, can I do this - or should I pay to have someone do it? (I have no experience in any of this.)

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC