> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Reiterating A Key Point ...
Login | Register

Reiterating A Key Point ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on October 14th, 2000 08:38 PM
In reply to Since no one else has been on this question... by Steve: on October 14th, 2000 07:36 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi JS,

As Steve: said about the drain pipe, I'd like to warn you that if you get anything CLOSE to a heavy rain, the water is NOT going to go through the pipe as you think unless you're at the 'top' of the hill. Then, you may just get luck 60% of the time.

If the location of the ramp / driveway is LOWER than the street, that means that water will 'run towards' your driveway/ramp. In other words, you've created a ramp for all types of debris to run up your driveway. I have about a 2" 'lip' where my curbing meets the street. And the street 'drops' as it approaches my driveway. In other words, the bottom of my driveway is about 12" lower than the center of the street. (I'm on the 'belly' of a cul-de-sac.) This 12" drop to my drive is over a distance of about 20'. I have no ramp and would have like my curb level with the street. I get all kinds of debris and I'm only house #3 from the 'top' of the street whereas there are about 8 more homes below me to the bottom of the street. It's a mess, and for me, thank God there's no ramp.

That's just my $.02 on this. It's all about trade-offs. If you're scraping your gas tank on the 'lip', you obviously need something down there. You'll get what you need but you'll just need to keep an eye on the 'junk' that piles up at the opening of the pipe. So just be prepared for where the water might go if the pipe gets clogged. (I can't see your drive from here.)

Happy asphalting! My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC