> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > regluing joints
Login | Register

regluing joints

Posted by Henry in MI on October 5th, 2003 06:59 AM
In reply to Re-glueing the joints of wood shutters by Jerry on October 4th, 2003 10:11 AM [Go to top of thread]

Jerry, if you drill diagonal holes into the joint so that you can get near or into the space that's left at the bottom of the mortise and the tenon doesn't reach quite that far, you can inject ACC glue (Superglue or Krazy Glue or similar) into the joint. Without having one of your shutters to look at, I would guess that a 1/16" or 3/32" hole would be about right and the gel form of the ACC glue will probably be easiest to use. Try to just get enough glue in to glue the joint and work with the stile down so that the glue doesn't go everywhere and glue more of the shutter together. When you got that done, you can put a dab of automotive Bondo or Minwax High Performance Wood Filler into the holes that are left to seal them from the weather or any water that might be around and just to flush the surface back up. I would not totally disassemble the shutters unless there was no other way or I was totally refinishing historically important shutters. They can be difficult to reassemble.

Henry in MI

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC