> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Refinishing options & Etiquette
Login | Register

Refinishing options & Etiquette

Posted by Ed F on February 4th, 2000 07:39 AM
In reply to METAL KITCHEN CABINETS by IVETTE on February 3rd, 2000 10:58 PM [Go to top of thread]

First, Net Etiquette - DON'T CAPITALIZE ALL YOUR WORDS - no one likes to be shouted-at!

LJ's options are reasonable. One thing to keep in mind is the quality of your cabinets. If the hinges or catches are worn, I don't think there's many options besides complete replacement - many of the old metal cabinets were build WITH hinges/catches, and are not easily replaceable.

If they're in decent shape, just looking old/dated, I'll tell you what I did to some old furniture that I picked-up for free. Probably similar to your cabinets - rounded edges, wierd knobs, really dated finish. The one thing I liked, was that they were really well-made.

Since I didn't have any money invested, no matter what I did, I could always throw them away and start over. I decided a coat of paint was a good start, so I pulled off the hardware, lightly sanded the entire surface, then used some simple cans of spray paint. It took a couple cans, but I really liked how they looked when done. Then, I simply replaced all the knobs with more current styles, and 'voila, I've got some new-looking furniture.

For a kitchen, if your cabinets are dated, the countertop probably is as well. For this, I'd look into purchasing a new countertop from a home improvement store (Menards, Lowes, Home Depot). This alone will update the look. If you can afford, do the sink and faucet.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC