> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Refinishing Kitchen Cabinets
Login | Register

Refinishing Kitchen Cabinets

Posted by Jeanine on September 6th, 1997 11:23 AM
In reply to refinish kitchen cabinets by Barb Hamilton on September 2nd, 1997 10:45 PM [Go to top of thread]

0 of 1 people found this post helpful

My project was very similar to the Alexanders' except I didn't have to strip paint. My cabinets & cupboards were stained dark walnut. First I removed all the doors, drawers & hardware. Then I gave the bases a light sanding and primed them with BIN. I also prefer the high gloss in an oil base -- I used Martin Seynour enamel -- and they came out beautifully. Then I started on the door & drawer fronts. I wanted to pickle them, so I sanded them down to bare wood, going through all the grades of sandpaper. This was the most time-consuming part of the project. I chose to bleach them, then I rubbed on MinWax stain in Pickled Oak and wiped it back off -- did this twice. After it dried, I coated it with four coats of poly-acrylic finish, lightly sanding between coats. Then I put my hardware back on and re-hung the doors, etc. I did not put any clear finish on the bases -- just left them painted. I am very pleased with the results I got. My kitchen looks unbelieveably lighter and brighter now and I think it actually looks larger. Good luck with your project. :-)

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC