> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Refinishing Hardwood Stairs
Login | Register

Refinishing Hardwood Stairs

Posted by Brent C on November 12th, 2000 04:26 PM
In reply to Refinish stairs by Henry in MI on November 11th, 2000 08:29 PM [Go to top of thread]

8 of 10 people found this post helpful

The stairs are not in terrible shape. They are a little worn in the middle and there is some residue from adhesive strips applied to reduce slipping an all the steps. There was carpeting over them for approximately 20 years, so there are some nail holes from the carpet strips. Currently, the stairs appear to have a urethane top coat with a light stain. The floors are a little slippery with the top coat. I would like to try to minimize this with little kids in the house. I have refinished the hardwood stairs upstairs with a medium stain, and I would like to match the stain upstairs with the stairs. Only the basic stairs need to be refinished, the back panel and trim are all painted white. I don't plan on messing with the rest, just paint the panel and trim after the basic stair is refinished.

My plan of attack was to first strip off the urethane top coat with a stripper. Then hand sand the the stairs with an orbital sander using 3 grits-60,100,& 150. Stain the stairs and then apply a top coat? With 16 stairs, I should have fun. I'm a little worried about applying a stripper inside the house with a 3 month old. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC