> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Refinishing cabinets
Login | Register

Refinishing cabinets

Posted by Henry in MI on May 23rd, 2000 04:17 AM
In reply to Refinishing kitchen cabinets by Terri Cononelos on May 22nd, 2000 08:59 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi, Terri. Sorry but this is a lot more involved that sanding and staining. In fact, you should never sand other than a very light pass with a very fine grit to remove any raised grain and possibly if you have any deep scratches or other similar damage.

The process involves stripping off the old finish, bleaching the old stain out, repairing any damage, restaining and finishing. It is very long and involved, particularly with a big project like kitchen cabinets. I really don't suggest it for someone with no experience in this. A good book to give you some background is Understanding Wood Finishing by Bob Flexner.

I don't think that the Formby's will do much for you. It is made to reamalgamate an existing finish. With items like kitchen cabinets that could be finished with a factory applied conversion finish, it would not do much at all. The conversion finishes are very difficult to remove and that's one of their good properties for this application.

These are the facts about kitchen cabinet refinishing and I will be happy to talk you through the process if you decide to go this way. But it is not something that you should lightly jump into and figure that you will be done in a few days.

Good luck and let us know if you have specific questions.

Henry in MI

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC