> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Refinishing
Login | Register

Posted by Henry in MI on February 1st, 1999 12:28 AM
In reply to Water rings on table by Sandi M. on January 31st, 1999 04:16 PM [Go to top of thread]

If you have tried everything else and have to refinish, start with a stripper like Citristrip. See Don't use sandpaper alone--if it is abrasive enough to take the finish off, it is abrasive enough to scratch the wood so that it will take a lot of sanding to get the scratches back out. Don't use steel wool as it leaves small strands behind that rust and discolor your new finish. You can use an abrasive stripper pad or a fine 3M sanding pad and a plastic sweep (kind of like a wide plastic putty knife with no handle) to get the residue off. Be sure to use the proper safety equipment--gloves and eye protection--when using any stripper and follow the manufacturers directions. I like to follow stripping with a rinse on a cloth of Citristrip Paint Remover Wash or mineral spirits as it seems to get any remaining residue off well. Be sure to give the Citristrip plenty of time to work and you can come back and recoat it if you need to. For what it's worth, I quit using methyl chloride based strippers long ago--just too many safety hazards. No stripper is totally safe, but Citristrip is as close as possible. (No, I don't work for them. This is personal opinion only.)

Let us know if you have questions on your new finish. Good luck.
Henry in MI

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC