> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > refinishing
Login | Register

Posted by tomh on April 11th, 2003 10:12 AM
In reply to Resurface Butcher Block by Robert Whitehurst on April 11th, 2003 09:12 AM [Go to top of thread]

1 of 1 people found this post helpful

Butcher block is normally coated with lots of mineral oil over the years and that will rapidly clog sand paper. I usually pre-clean the butcher block with low odor mineral spirits trying to lift as much of the oil residue as possible. After that dries then I use a 4" belt sander with a moderately course (80) grit open coat paper and work with the grain. Be careful not to remove so much material that you can't match the edges where the sander won't reach. The course paper is being used mostly because it is clog resistent, not to grind off a lot of wood. If the sandpaper clogs, it will usually knock off by sanding a clean material briefly. I continue to sand going down to about a 150 paper, then finish sand with a palm sander at 200+ grit. You can find odorless mineral oil at the hardware store. It is a good counter preservative, or you can use a coating of lacquer or polyurethane if you don't plan to cut on the surface.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC